Company History

The R.S. Bacon Veneer Co. was founded By Robert S. Bacon in 1898 in Chicago Illinois. Robert Bacon and wife Julia began production on Anne St. in downtown Chicago with a 12 foot Capital slicer. Upon moving to Lake St. production grew to slicing Mahogany, Circassian Walnut, American Black Walnut, Oak and Birch.

Bacon continued to grow with direct connections in Europe and Russia until the outbreak of WWI. In 1918 the plant and offices were moved to 4702 Augusta Boulevard and a larger slicer, a 16-foot Capital, was added. Robert Bacon then sold the company in 1921 to Robert Scott who held it until his death in 1928. Upon his death Scott’s family sold Bacon Veneer to Joseph F. Mertes. The 1930’s saw Bacon Veneer grow considerably.

In 1937 George Wilhelm joined Bacon Veneer, his leadership and innovation brought Bacon Veneer to the forefront of the Veneer business. Wilhelm invented grooved decorative hardwood plywood paneling, called Panawall, and grew rapidly in the plywood business. By 1957 Bacon produced 15,000 square feet of paneling per day and employed 125 people.

After being Vice President for many years, George Wilhelm and four partners bought Bacon Veneer on March 1, 1963. In 1965 operations for Bacon Veneer were moved to Dubuque Iowa. The Panawall division was sold, as was the Augusta warehouse location and the headquarters of was moved to Hillside, Illinois just outside Chicago. In 1969 Jim McCracken joined the sales team of Bacon Veneer and brought new and innovative ideas to the sales effort. In 1981 a warehouse was bought in Grundy Center, Iowa and in 1984 all production was moved to that location. Sales offices remained outside Chicago in Hillside, IL as well as in Calgary, Alberta.

In 1985 George Wilhelm made his nephew Jim McCracken the President of Bacon Veneer. The focus of Bacon Veneer was changing, gone was the panel division and now an Architectural division was growing in its place. Bacon began to import more specialty veneers which have grown into the largest supply of decorative and architectural quality veneer in the United States.

After the Great Recession of 2008 Bacon Veneer reorganized into The Best Veneer Company but known as BVC Veneer. The reorganization took four years and during this time BVC Veneer ceased producing veneer and converted to having other veneer producers cut veneer for BVC. Also during this period BVC continued to increase its architectural business as well as producing spliced veneer faces. Currently BVC has offices in Burr Ridge, IL and a 2000,000 sf. warehouse and veneer splicing plant in Grundy Center, IA.

The R.S. Bacon Veneer Co. was founded By Robert S. Bacon in 1898 in Chicago Illinois. Robert Bacon and wife Julia began production on Anne St. in downtown Chicago with a 12 foot Capital slicer. Upon moving to Lake St. production grew to slicing Mahogany, Circassian Walnut, American Black Walnut, Oak and Birch.

Bacon continued to grow with direct connections in Europe and Russia until the outbreak of WWI. In 1918 the plant and offices were moved to 4702 Augusta Boulevard and a larger slicer, a 16-foot Capital, was added. Robert Bacon then sold the company in 1921 to Robert Scott who held it until his death in 1928. Upon his death Scott’s family sold Bacon Veneer to Joseph F. Mertes. The 1930’s saw Bacon Veneer grow considerably.

In 1937 George Wilhelm joined Bacon Veneer, his leadership and innovation brought Bacon Veneer to the forefront of the Veneer business. Wilhelm invented grooved decorative hardwood plywood paneling, called Panawall, and grew rapidly in the plywood business. By 1957 Bacon produced 15,000 square feet of paneling per day and employed 125 people.

After being Vice President for many years, George Wilhelm and four partners bought Bacon Veneer on March 1, 1963. In 1965 operations for Bacon Veneer were moved to Dubuque Iowa. The Panawall division was sold, as was the Augusta warehouse location and the headquarters of was moved to Hillside, Illinois just outside Chicago. In 1969 Jim McCracken joined the sales team of Bacon Veneer and brought new and innovative ideas to the sales effort. In 1981 a warehouse was bought in Grundy Center, Iowa and in 1984 all production was moved to that location. Sales offices remained outside Chicago in Hillside, IL as well as in Calgary, Alberta.

In 1985 George Wilhelm made his nephew Jim McCracken the President of Bacon Veneer. The focus of Bacon Veneer was changing, gone was the panel division and now an Architectural division was growing in its place. Bacon began to import more specialty veneers which have grown into the largest supply of decorative and architectural quality veneer in the United States.

After the Great Recession of 2008 Bacon Veneer reorganized into The Best Veneer Company but known as BVC Veneer. The reorganization took four years and during this time BVC Veneer ceased producing veneer and converted to having other veneer producers cut veneer for BVC. Also during this period BVC continued to increase its architectural business as well as producing spliced veneer faces. Currently BVC has offices in Burr Ridge, IL and a 2000,000 sf. warehouse and veneer splicing plant in Grundy Center, IA.

BVC
16W273 83rd St, Suite A-1
Burr Ridge, IL 60527
630-541-8312

Copyright © 2021 BVC Company
All Rights Reserved.